Sunday, September 19, 2010

All About Autumn


Autumn, also known as fall, is my favorite season. For me, it always reminds me of new beginnings. I love the weather in September and October - crisp and cool with a little bit of sunshine. Another one of my favorite things about this time of year is the fall foliage. I love watching the leaves change to a variety of colors like red, orange, yellow, and golden. The Northeast is one of the best regions in the country to see and experience this seasonal change firsthand. For more information on Fall Foliage you can visit The Foliage Network's website at http://www.foliagenetwork.com/.

Besides the weather and nature some other things I love about autumn are: the start of football season (Go Jets!), updating and changing my wardrobe (there are plenty of fall fashion must-haves this year), Halloween, enjoying pumpkin bread, and going on bike riding adventures.

Don't get me wrong though, there are also many things I will miss about summer as the season changes. I will miss spending lazy days at the beach, eating frozen yogurt, weekend getaways, and swimming. But there is something about the start of fall that just makes me excited and happy.

Vocabulary:
  1. crisp (adj.) - invigorating: crisp air
  2. foliage (noun) - the leaves of a plant, leaves in general
  3. variety (noun) - a number of different types of things
  4. region (noun) - a specific district or territory, a large area
  5. seasonal (adj.) - pertaining to, dependent on, or accompanying the seasons of the year
  6. experience (noun/verb) - to have the experience of (the process of fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something)
  7. wardrobe (noun) - a stock of clothes belonging to a person
  8. adventure (noun) - an exciting experience
  9. getaway (noun) - a place where one escapes for relaxation, vacation; a period of time for vacation
Fill-in the Blank:
  1. On Halloween the air was ____ and cool, a perfect day for trick or treating.
  2. Every spring I have allergies, my doctor told me they are __________.
  3. The Midwest is a large _________.
  4. My boyfriend planned a weekend _______ to Florida so we could both relax.
  5. The _______ on the tree was beautiful.
  6. I eat a lot of different kinds of food in order to have _______ in my diet.
  7. I love Sarah's clothes I wish I had her ____________.
  8. Horseback riding on the beach was quite an ______________.
  9. Going to the Jets game was an __________ I'll never forget.
Grammar Point: Capitalization
The days of the week, the months of the year, and holidays are capitalized but the seasons used generally are not.
Examples: Halloween, October, Friday, winter, spring, fall, summer

Exception: Seasons are capitalized when used in a title.

Example: Fall 2010 semester.

Write a paragraph about your favorite season making sure to follow the capitalization rules below. Try to include the name of a holiday and month associated with the season to see if you understand which words get capitalized and which do not.


1 comment: